Monday 28 October 2013

Ice Prince: My life took a dramatic turn when dad died .

From humble beginnings in Jos, Plateau State, Chocolate City’s wonder kid, Panshak Zamani popularly known as Ice Prince has grown to be one of the hottest and most respected rappers in the country. Thanks to his victory at the 2009 Hennessey Artistry where he came tops. And while it may all look rosy on the outside, Ice Prince has revealed that it’s not been easy after his dad passed away, adding that just like any street kid, he’s had his own fair share of ups and downs, and so fans should not be carried away by the glitz and glamour which has become his trade mark today. Though, born to upper middle class parents, the Oleku singer insists he was not born with a silver spoon, he and his siblings had all they desired until his dad died in 1999 and life took a dramatic turn! “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon,” Ice Prince told The Entertainer’s TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE in an exclusive chat backstage during the 8th edition of Julius Agwu’s comedy show, Crack Ya Ribs held at Nicon Hilton, Abuja, recently. Dressed in all white designer T-shirt and pants with a muffler dangling around his neck, Ice Prince peered at you from behind designer glasses crested with a fez cap which gave him that clean cut look of an American marine but for his goatee. “My dad was not a billionaire, neither was he a pauper,” he said arching his bushy eyebrows to drive home his point, “he sent us to good schools and we had vacations outside the country; we were okay but in 1999 I lost him! “It was a big loss for me and my family. I was 13 and the eldest kid; I had a mum and two younger sisters to look out for and so I had to grow up overnight; thank God for family support.” Recounting the person of his late dad who was a soldier in the Nigerian Army, Ice Prince described him as a great source of inspiration and like every son would say, his father was a great dad. He said dad went the extra mile to make sure he and his siblings had all they wanted. “He was a soldier,” he states in his characteristic cool and calm voice, “he taught me everything I know today. My mum was very supportive but she died in 2011, so right now I am an orphan.” How does it feel losing both parents early in life? “It feels lonely! We were three kids; a boy and two girls and I am the eldest. I became the man of the house after my dad passed on and that has given me a sense of responsibility. It made me grow up overnight! “I am 27 but my responsibilities are more than that of a 27-year-old. I have to take care of my sisters. I thank God for elevating me. I guess I was called to do this (music).” According to Ice Prince, he would ever be grateful for the lessons he learnt from his parents, which have gone a long way in shaping him today. He says that while his dad taught him to be responsible right from an early age, his mum taught him to respect women. Once upon a star… From a tender age, music has always been his passion. Unknown to many, in 2002, Ice Prince and a couple of his friends founded the Ecomog Squad. However, they later split. In 2004, he came across the crew that would play a central role in making Chocolate City one of the biggest labels in the country. That was when he met M.I and Jesse Jagz and together they founded the Loopy Crew. Earlier that same year, the musician dropped his debut single entitled, Extraordinary but recording success was still a long way off. In 2009, the sun finally shone down on Ice Prince when he participated in the Hennessy Artistry competition. The Oleku singer trashed the likes of Bez, Mo’ Cheddah, Blaise and Jimmy Flames to clinch the ultimate prize with his single, Badman. That culminated in the 2010 official release of his debut Chocolate City single, Oleku. Overnight, Ice Prince became the most sought after act as he did collabos with A-listers including Banky W, eLDee and Naeto C, Dekunle Fuji, Kel, Gino, Terry Tha Rapman, Sauce Kid, Djinee, Mo’ Cheddah and Wizkid among others. The release of his debut album, Everyone Loves Ice Prince, sealed his place as the new act to beat! And the artiste has not been without his measure of controversies. From being touted as better than M.I to pictures of him popping up on instagram with fashion designer, Yvonne Nwosu in bed, Ice Prince has enjoyed media attention, as he seems poised to take his game to the next level. Zamani On Fire Consequently, following the success of Every One Loves Ice Prince, the rap sensation revealed that plans have reached fever pitch for the release of his sophomore effort entitled, Fire of Zamani. “What’s new about me is that I just did a song featuring French Montana entitled, I Swear. And French Montana is a bad boy artiste with PDD. It’s an international collabo and there’s also my album, Fire of Zamani coming out,” he declares. “Expect magic,” Ice Prince says with emphasis, “expect a blend of everything. I have three international collabos on that album and I am also featuring some Nigerian legends. There’s Wale, there’s Fresh Montana, and there are Sony Neji, Sound Sultan and Wizkid. Meanwhile, the album was officially released on October 15.” Oleku How did he get the inspiration for Oleku? “It just didn’t come from me alone. It came from God. It came from Jezze who made the beat, it came from Brymo who did the hook. God inspired us to make that song. We were just kids in the studio trying to make good music and then Oleku just happened! We can only thank God. Oleku was the song that made me,” the artiste confesses. Did he believe Oleku would be that great? Ice Prince waves his head as he responds: “I never did. You never know what song’s going to be big. I just felt it was an okay song and we pushed it and bingo! Before we knew it, we were everywhere.” Aboki swag Lately, Ice Prince has been obsessed with a new project, re-orienting Nigerians about the meaning of the word, aboki. He actually put his money where his mouth was when he dropped his single, Aboki in 2012. Ironically, in some quarters, the word aboki is considered derogatory. What gave him the inspiration? “Aboki means friend. It’s a representation of where I’m from. I was born in Jos and I grew up in Minna so this means me representing my roots. Aboki means friend but it’s also a name for indigent Hausa people like gatemen and those who do menial jobs, so I wanted to change that perception and let them know that there’s more to aboki. I am a Jos boy; an aboki to the core. The same way the guy selling cigarettes outside Eko Hotel is an aboki, is the same way (Aliko) Dangote is an aboki,” he remarks with a proud smile. Romance With success come women. Who is the woman in his life? Ice Prince smiles mischievously as he responds: “That’s private stuff I don’t want in the papers.” Success pays

No comments:

Post a Comment